Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Daily Reflection

Several of my friends have lost someone close to them recently. One lost her mother, two have lost their pet, and another lost her husband. The third anniversary of my parents passing is just around the corner. Although an anniversary can be very traumatic, as in a Vietnam Veteran who suffered many traumatic events and countless losses, I don't believe my anniversaries will be so painful.

Today's Daily Devotion is titled "Triumph in Death." It reads:

Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 15:57 RSV)

Today marks the anniversary of Martin Luther’s death. As he lay dying, Luther confidently confessed: "I pass away; Father, I yield up my spirit into Thy hands; Thou hast redeemed me, Lord, Thou faithful God."

I'm not sure how this will sound, but this speaks loudly to me. I can imagine great comfort at the time of my passing. The pain & suffering will be gone. I will be going to a place so beautiful that we don't have the words to describe it. The colors there are so much more than what we see here on Earth.

Today's prayer is particularly appropriate & reminds us how our faith can help us live, even during such sorrow.

Dear Lord, give us the faith not only to live but also to die confidently and victoriously. Amen.

To Bonnie, Lisa, Nancy & Sandy I wish you faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment