Thursday, February 12, 2009

Daily Reflection

This morning Pastor brought to my attention something called Examen. I searched the internet & below is what I found.

St. Ignatius Loyola (1491-1556), founder of the Society of Jesus, was a very practical man when it came to prayer. He recommended to his brothers a daily method of examining their lives so that they might better serve the Lord. St. Ignatius taught that the key to a healthy spirituality was twofold: Find God in all things and constantly work to gain freedom to cooperate with God’s will. St. Ignatius proposed a daily exercise, which he called the Examen, that has been used by many Christians ever since. By praying the Examen twice daily, countless laypeople worldwide have joined the practice of Jesuits, other priests and religious—in hearing God’s voice in their hearts. Through this daily practice, they learn to discern God’s will and grow in the understanding of God’s beautiful creation. Now called the Examen of Consciousness, it is a simple practice that anyone can learn and benefit from.

Ths is my new challenge - a daily reflection. It is simply to ask myself how my day went & how did I encounter God today. It is more personal than creative, but I'm hoping it will help me get past the bad days and even help me with weight loss.

For those of you who are Oprah viewers, I think you will agree with me that she uses the basic principals of this practice, too.

I have done fairly well with my challenge of posting here on a daily basis & most of the time I have a project for you even!

1 comment:

  1. Cool - this is exactly what I meant! Awesome. So how are you doing with your daily examen? Blessings and peace,
    Pastor
    PS Thank you for alerting me to your blog! It's really well done.

    ReplyDelete