Sunday, October 18, 2009

My Thoughts Tonight

It's been a difficult week with car issues, computer issues, and financial issues, so if you have missed me, thanks so much for coming back.

KC, my cat, wants to say hi to everyone, too.

Tomorrow is Octoberfest at my church so Friday & Saturday I have been creating items for sale. Hope to see some of you there.

I've set a goal to sell a certain amount of Stampin Up items and pre-made items by the end of the year, so I am going to ask all of my friends & family to help me. I'll be selling beautiful hand-made Christmas cards - 5 cards for $12.00. I know I can do it. If you would like to help, let me know.

Friday night was our monthly stamp meeting. We had a lot of fun catching up, stamping, & learning new techniques. I'll be showing you those in the upcoming weeks. There was one thing I learned that I want to start right away. I'll providing weekly projects, promos, tips, gift ideas, etc. I have so much I want to share with you!

I went to church Saturday night & would like to share some of that with you tonight. Pastor's message was titled "Whole Life Stewardship - True Riches in Christ." Jesus said, "Go, sell everything you have and give it to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven." (Mark 10:21)

First, let me say that this was a difficult message for me. Being low on the financial totem pole, it's hard to feel generous & give away what little I have or the money I want to make to buy the things I want to have, instead of giving it away. I wonder if anyone would feel differently about their possesions. I wondered to myself, as I sat there in Churh, looking around at others who were there, will they give everything they have away? I beleive that the text is telling us that the real treasure is God. If some of you are asking yourself - does Jesus really want me to give everything I have away? Can I keep some of it? If I give it all away, then I will be poor. " In our heart, we know the answer, but we want to bargain with God. So, the question becomes, "how much do I want Jesus?" Again, I'm not doing very well with my answer.

After Jesus has this conversation with the rich man, Jesus predicts his own death. Even more radical than what Jesus asked the rich man, God asked Jesus for his all, including his life!. And Jesus did, for us. This was powerful to hear. How many times have I heard Jesus died for our sins? I've heard this since I was in Sunday School! Can you imagine giving your life for someone? Can you imagine giving up your life? Think about those who have died in combat, or those who serve in our Police & Fire Departments who have lost their lives. They died for you and me! Can we ever repay them?

Today, through faith in Jesus, we have forgiveness, and where there is forgiveness, all things are possible.

This was a heavy & difficult message tonight. As Pastor says, maybe we should find a balance. We're not going to give everything away, but if our possessions are preventing us from a life with God, then we need to rethink our priorities. If we can give of ourselves to others, God promises to care for us in this world and the next one. There is a but, life is better with Christ but it is also filled with pain, suffering, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment